Recipe for Homemade Tootsie Rolls
by Vicky Schwartz
(Big Timber, Montana)
Homemade Tootse Roll Recipe Ideas
Years ago I had a recipe for HOMEMADE TOOTSIE ROLLS. Now I can't find it and I have grand kids big enough to help.
Does any one out there have a recipe?
As I remember it there was only cocoa, powdered sugar, and butter? Karo syrup?..... that is where I forget.
Sounds like you are planning a great time for you and the grandchildren. :-)
I've had a little look around and found a few recipes for you. See if any of them ring a bell. Now, you be sure to come back and tell us which one you used and how it turned out. If you've got pictures - even better! Have fun!
Tootsie Rolls Recipe #1
This is a microwave recipe for Tootsie Roll type candy from About.com. Ingredients needed:
- 1 oz. unsweetened chocolate (square)
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1-1/3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 6 Tbsp. instant nonfat milk powder
- Place chocolate and butter in a glass measuring cup (4-cup). Microwave, uncovered, at high power for 3O seconds, stir and heat for another 30 seconds, or until chocolate is melted.
- Stir in corn syrup and vanilla and return to microwave, heating on high power for 1 minute.
- Remove from microwave and mix in 1 cup powdered sugar and the powdered milk and stir thoroughly.
- Sprinkle the remaining powdered sugar on a large piece of waxed paper. Turn mixture onto waxed paper and knead candy until stiff, adding as much powdered sugar as necessary to form a stiff but pliable dough.
- Divide the candy into four sections. Roll each section into strips the width of a pencil. Cut each strip into bite-sized pieces and wrap in waxed paper.
You may need to refrigerate the "Tootsie Roll" candy to get it to set completely. Makes about 40 pieces.
Homemade Tootsie Rolls #2
This recipe is a "no-cook" recipe for Tootsie Rolls.
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups corn
- 3 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup plus 2 tsp. unsweetened cocoa
- 2 1/4 cups non-fat dry milk
- 9 cups powdered/icing sugar
- Combine the dry ingredients - cocoa, dry milk, and powdered sugar.
- In a large bowel, mix together the butter, syrup, and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. The mixture becomes very thick. Roll into ropes and cut into tootsie roll shapes. Wrap in waxed paper.
Homemade Tootsie Roll Recipe #3
This recipe for Tootsie Rolls is a bit more involved than the other two, but you may enjoy it more precisely because of that! The work is part of the charm and fun. Ingredients needed:
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of corn syrup
- 1/4 cup of sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 Tablespoons of water
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of orange extract (optional)
- Butter a non-stick baking tray and set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, stir together all of the ingredients over medium heat until thoroughly combined.
- Insert a candy thermometer and bring mixture to the firm ball stage (250 degrees F.).
- Pour mixture onto prepared baking tray and allow to cool slightly (about 7-10 minutes).
- Butter your hands and grab the edges of the mixture turning it onto itself. Continue to do this until the candy is cool enough to pick up in your hands.
- Now for the fun part! Pull and twist the candy mixture for about 10 minutes. It will begin to lighten in color.
- Set candy aside for an hour or so and then twist and pull again for about 5 minutes. Again, it will lighten.
- Separate into sections and roll into ropes about the width of your fingers. Cut into one inch pieces and wrap in waxed paper squares twisting the ends.
Yes, this recipe is more work, but it's fun, too. If anyone tries these out, we want your recipe review in the comment section below! :)