Today I've got a pumpkin roll recipe for you that you're going to absolutely love!
The step-by-step photos and instructions will allow you to see how easy it is to create this masterpiece that has become a family favorite.
My sister-in-law, Laura, used to make a gorgeous pumpkin roll cake every year around Thanksgiving and Christmas (probably still does!).
She always made extra so that she could give some to my mom, who also loved it, but was willing to share with me if I happened to be in town. ;)
Eventually, my hubby and I moved to Australia, so I rarely had the chance to indulge in Laura's pumpkin roll with cream cheese filling.
I was craving it like mad one year, so Laura shared her recipe for pumpkin rolls with me and I re-created here.
Pumpkin is usually eaten as a savory food in Australia, rather than a sweet, so it took my friends by surprise. I had to cut up the pumpkin and cook it myself to get the amount needed for the recipe as they don't sell canned pumpkin, interestingly enough. ;) Where there's a will, there's a way!
I have to admit that I haven't made homemade pumpkin roll in several years, but I was recently reminded of this forgotten favorite when a lovely lady from First Baptist Church in Streetsboro, Ohio, sent me her recipe and photos to share with you.
I'd asked my friends at FBC to share some of their favorite dessert recipes and photos with us here at Chocolate Candy Mall, and Valorie was the first to respond and I'm so grateful. You're going to love it! Give this pumpkin roll recipe a try and let me know what you think.
Pumpkin Roll Cake Ingredients:
Cream Cheese Filling Ingredients:
4. Once you've removed the cake from the oven, liberally dust the top with powdered sugar.
5. Cover the cake with a clean (I prefer "new") non-terry cloth dish towel and place a cooling rack on top. Flip the baking tray over onto the cooling rack.
6. Remove the cake pan and peel off the waxed paper. Be careful because the cake is still quite hot!
7. While the cake is still hot, roll the cake up in the dish towel so that it will take the "rolled" shape on as the cake cools.
8. While the rolled pumpkin cake is cooling, it's time to prepare your
cream cheese filling. Thoroughly combine the cream cheese, butter, and
9. Unroll the cooled cake, spread the cream cheese mixture on the cake and roll it up again - this time without the towel! Refrigerate until ready to serve. You can dust the roll with more powdered sugar before slicing and serving if desired.
TIPS: This pumpkin roll recipe can be doubled, tripled, etc. It also freezes well, so you can make them in advance and/or enjoy them for several weeks.
My husband, Brian, and I make about 25 of these pumpkin rolls every year: Quality time that we get to spend together, it’s one of the few things we do without the help of the kids.
In fact most of the time we ship the kids off to Grandma/Grandpa’s for the weekend.
It also allows me the opportunity to get new dish towels for my kitchen… LOL
My husband does all the measuring and mixing, then passes the bowls to me and I spread in the pan, bake, dust, and roll and then we repeat for the filling with him mixing while I fill and roll.
It's quite the assembly line and allows us to make then relatively easily. He gives them to his employees as a Thanksgiving gift. Seventeen pumpkin rolls go to work with him and then, of course, we have some for our family dinners and a couple for the freezer – as they freeze fantastically.
I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
Thanks so much once again for sharing this scrumptious pumpkin roll recipe with cream cheese with us. It's brought back so many good memories and I'm looking forward to making it again this year myself. Mmmmm.
Please do share more of your recipes and photos with us in future. I love your work!
P.S. If anyone else would like to contribute, please add them here.