Delicious Black Bean Brownies
I found a great recipe for black bean brownies that would surprise any brownie lover. When I think of brownies, the last thing on my mind is beans.
However, brownies made with black beans are not only tasty but also qualify as gluten free brownies.
These days everyone is looking for the next best thing when it comes to gluten free treats. If you're one of those people, give these brownies a whirl.
I was surprised when I found out that black beans are actually a natural sweetener. Not only that, but they are packed with rich proteins, too.
So, these black bean brownies are the perfect combination of sweet and healthy.
Give it a try and just don't tell anyone what's in it until after they tell you how yummy it is! :)
Black Bean Brownie Recipe
Before you begin, pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F. and grease your baking dish. I use a 9" glass brownie pan.
The ingredients needed are:
- 2 cups of drained black beans
- 1 cup butter (unsalted)
- 1/3 cup instant coffee
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 ounces chocolate (unsweetened)
- 4 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1/2 cup of honey
- 1 Tbs vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Start by prepping the beans. You don't want raw uncooked black beans, because they won't mash as well as cooked ones will, so cook the beans in boiling water until soft enough to mash.
Make sure that you dry the beans really well before mashing so that you can control the moisture of the batter.
- Melt your butter in the microwave and melt your chocolate as well. You can use a double boiler or the microwave for the chocolate depending on how much time you have. Just be sure not to burn the chocolate if you use the microwave - stir every 30 seconds.
- In a large mixing bowl add the mashed black beans, chopped walnuts, and vanilla and stir until combined. If the beans are not breaking up as easily as you wish you can always throw that mixture into a food processor to get things moving along faster, but if you do this add some of the melted butter to keep it from sticking.
- In a separate bowl, combine the chocolate, butter, salt and coffee and mix well.
- Combine the bean mixture and the coffee mixture in a large bowl. To that mixture fold in the beaten eggs and the honey and blend well until everything is smooth and fully mixed.
- Pour your batter into the baking dish and place into pre-heated oven and set the time for 30-35 minutes.
Make sure to keep checking the brownies because these are a lot heavier than flour based ones so keep an eye out so they don't burn.
Extra Tips: To make your brownies extra creamy put a little of the melted chocolate aside and drizzle it over the brownies after you have pulled them out of the oven.
You should let these brownies cool before cutting them and then enjoy!
The idea of black bean brownies may take a little getting used to, but with a little time and some imagination you will learn to not miss the flour at all!
~By Kate H.
Do you have a recipe for gluten free brownies to share? Add it below and share the love!
What Are Your All Time Favorite Brownies?
Are you convinced you've eaten the best brownies in the world? If so, tell us about it. It may be a recipe passed down from Grandma. Or, maybe it was a brownie that you ate in a restaurant or purchased from a quaint little shop somewhere. Give directions! :)
Seriously, though, let's see who comes up with the best brownie creations of all time. Submit yours and we can all judge and comment for ourselves.
Return from Black Bean Brownies to Chocolate Brownies
Return from Black Bean Brownies to Chocolate Candy Mall Homepage